What Causes Shin Splints?
Shin splints can occur from constant repetitive load on the outer covering on the leg bone which becomes inflamed. This inflammation along the shin bone (tibia) can lead to stress fractures if left untreated. Inspire Podiatrists are experts in the field of managing running injuries such as shin burn. We are the leading North Brisbane sports centre for managing running pains. We know how to treat shin pain.
We need to determine the true cause of your shin pain so our expert, sports podiatrists can successfully manage it. Factors to consider when asking yourself, “ how do I stop my shin pain from hurting when I run”…
Factors that can contribute towards Shin Pain
- Poor alignment in the lower limb eg. A flat foot that over pronates.
- Shin pain can be from too much knee bend during running. Let’s review your full posture running & balance assessment.
- Shin pain can be caused by having tight and weak muscular strength in the legs. You may need a strength and conditioning program.
- Footwear which is not the best running shoe for shin pain.
- There is a stress fracture present. This needs to be excluded by an expert.
- An increase in training loads or a change in training surfaces.
It is vital to take a good history of your training distances and loads that lead up to your shin pain. Inspire podiatrists can help your pain by recommending the best running shoe for shin pain. We also offer a range of hands on treatment methods to get you back running again.
How We Treat Shin Pain
Whilst we will provide 3D laser scanning to make soft prescription shoe inserts where needed, we utilise many other treatment modalities. For your shin splints treatment options go above and beyond just orthotics. We utilise a variety of hands on treatment modalities. Some of the ways we assess and treat with passion are:
- Muscle energy techniques
- Foot mobilisation
- Dry needling
- Electrotherapy (combination of ultrasound and electrotherapy)
- Strength & Conditioning Programs
- Full posture, Balance and Running Assessments
Our broad range of treatment techniques ensures you can return to sport as soon as possible. We work with you to create a personalised treatment plan to ensure full function and a successful recovery.